This mood boosting smoothie has been my morning fix for quite a while now.
I love it because it’s loaded with l-tryptophan, an amino acid that is a precursor for serotonin (the happy hormone) and melatonin (for healthy sleep patterns).
My newest obsession in the field of nutrition is hormone regulation. By incorporating nutrient-dense ingredients rich in amino acids, vitamins, and minerals, we can help our body to regulate its hormone production. This leads to better moods, weight maintenance, better sleep, better sex, more energy, and stronger immunity.
What’s not to love?
This superfood shake is a true win nutritionally because although it’s loaded with all the green stuff our body loves, the raw cacao completely masks any of the “earthy” flavors. I basically have a chocolate milkshake for breakfast everyday, and I feel amazing.
The addition of the protein powder assures that I receive a high dose of complete protein. Being on a plant based diet, starting my morning with this shake provides an energetic boost to my day.
Mood Boosting Superfood Smoothie
Vegan, serves 1.
- 2 cups fresh spinach (vitamin C, l-tryptophan, fiber, iron, protein)
- 1/4 avocado (l-tryptophan, polyunsaturated fats, potassium)
- 1/2 banana (potassium, l-tryptophan)
- 1 scoop plant based vanilla protein powder (complete vegan protein, B-vitamins)
- 1/1-2 tbsp. raw cacao powder (l-tryptophan, magnesium, selenium, zinc)
- 1 tbsp. agave syrup (low-glycemic sweetener)
- 1 tsp. spirulina (basically everything amazing in one dark green heavenly powder of love)
- 1 cup unsweetened non-dairy milk (I used hemp milk)
- 1/2 cup water
- 5 ice cubes
- 1 tbsp. chia seeds (for garnish and extra nutrition boost, optional)
- 1 tbsp. unsweetened shredded coconut (for garnish, optional)
*I’ve included links to where you can find these items on Amazon as an easy option to just order one or two things without a commitment, but I use Thrivemarket.com to order most of my ingredients now. Thrive Market sells high quality health foods at warehouse prices for a small annual fee – plus they offer free shipping for orders over $49. Use my link here to receive 15% off your first order!
Layer ingredients in blender in the order listed. Blend on high for about 1 minute, until completely smooth. Add more water as necessary to reach desired consistently. Pour into glass, garnish if desired, and enjoy immediately.
Alright, Loves – here’s to a happy, peaceful, and nutritious start to your day. Go kick butt at whatever you have planned for this week.
Please remember to comment below and subscribe, so we can keep sharing health secrets 😉
All My Love,